Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The moment you've all been waiting for....

...And the prestigious 2006 S.C.A.R* award goes to the brilliant man and woman duo on the bike...
Dang, had i not been so 'appalled' and driving at the time, I would have grabbed up my mobile phone on the dashboard of the car and snapped a pic..
El Hazard's mere description of the duo should have to suffice u folks..
(Words are hardly credible as a pic would be ::confounded frown::)
Driving along (in Sharjah) I notice a guy on a bike riding along in the street (minding his business I'll concede) with a package of some sort on the back. Hmmmm not sure what to call that thingy in the back though, it's like the part of the bike before adding a basket/small crate. Upon doing a double-take i realize it's not a package but a person. Not so bad, it's not like El Hazard hasn't seen ppl double up on a bike... this though beat all (even the hindi man on the motorbike with his wife and baby hanging on behind him!) the second person on the bike seated sideways (in the fashion of the way women *ahem* ladies from between the 15th and 19th centuries rode horses - side saddle) was a woman. Ok even a woman wouldn't have been much of a deal (hardly worthy of the SCAR award) but this woman was wearing full hijab..complete with niqab. Really now. (awina M.J's wearing of it wasn't bad enough!)


From this I've learnt 2 - not just 1- very important things :

  1. Always keep my phone in camera mode when out even for the shortest of drives (Be ready for anything and everything in other words....)
  2. Wear my hijab proudly and pray I never bring such shame to it !




    *(Stupidly Creative Appalling-act of Retards)

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

Hm..
Is it really that shameful that a lady with full hijab was riding a bike behind a guy? I mean, it could've been her brother or something..
Guess since I wasn't there to see it so I can't really judge.
But you're right - it's safest to keep your mob on camera mode when you're out!

Bookworm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.